Tuesday, February 26, 2008

NMS

I am not a Bombayite, Mumbaiker, or whatever. In fact, being half-Punjabi seems like the very antithesis of Bombay. But then, I guess this city of migrants attracts the hearts of a wide variety of people. So while I will leave this place in a couple of months, I do love it, or the idea of it: cosmopolitan, civilised, heterogeneous, culturally deep. And pragmatic -- business is business, let's get on with things.

This is why I'm getting more and more upset at the NMS and that bastard Raj Thackeray. So his goons terrorise North Indians, scare them away and create an immense labour shortage in industrial enterprises in Maharashtra. But then is that filled by Marathi speakers? Oh no, because Maharashtrians don't want the work that was taken up by workers from UP and Bihar. People are scared, machines are quiet, everyone's losing money and for what? So that this upstart can try and consolidate a vote-bank left over from the days of Shiv Sena?

No comments: