So, I have housing settled -- I am a 'paying guest' -- God, do I hate the term and the concept -- in a nice little house in a quiet street in Defence Colony, certainly one of the more expat, chi-chi corners of town... think Gulberg in Lahore, Defence IV in Karachi, the whole of Islamabad in Islamabad, Breach Candy in Bombay, Ma'adi in Cairo... full of SUVs, the upwardly-mobile and those wanting to shut India out (quite literally: many of the streets have gates that are shut at night. Yes, I am living in a *gasp* gated community).
There are advantages to living in Def. Col. First, it's certainly the most central of South Delhi neighbourhoods. Second, it's small enough to walk around in or take a cycle-rickshaw, which I have to admit, I wasn't expecting to see in this corner of town. Third, Defence Colony market has, among the trendy, over-the-top places, a couple of real gems: I've been going to this bakery / cafe / restaurant called 'Angels in the Kitchen' a lot -- where the music isn't obnoxious, they're friendly and I can get a decent cafe americano for just Rs. 25!
Certainly escapism, but after a long day's interviewing in dusty odorous industrial estates, escape might be in order.
Most importantly, the housing thing is DONE! Honestly, such a hassle! Still have to get my phone reconnected (argh) and broadband set up, but at least I'm a bit settled.
In other news, the first ever Cricket Twenty20 World Cup in South Africa... I saw a piece of history when Uvraj Singh hit six 6s in an over on Wednesday, at a gathering of Swarthmore folks in Delhi. All you baseball fans should watch Twenty20 cricket: a match is the same length as your average baseball game and very exciting.
Work seriously starts on Monday and I might even be able to report that my cellphone is setup and I have broadband working by the next post. Hoping that won't be in three months...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment