...honestly, these scare me half to death and they increase in scale and intensity as the Festival of Lights nears. And the industrialists have started to push meetings off until after Diwali, etc. I suppose shouldn't be such a scrooge about it, but well-heeled Delhi-ites throwing a huge week-long bash for themselves is not particularly to my taste. No doubt more Diwali stuff to follow.
Work continues, pushing out further and further into the edges of the National Capital Region. Lots of rickshaw rides and dust, lots of textile businesses doing OK but honestly wishing they were in China. There was an auto part factory that had the japanese terms in roman script for 'efficiency', 'motivation'. It was Toyotism taken out of Japan, transplanted and then systematically ignored. The Sensex (Bombay stock exchange) hit 20,000 for the first time, having doubled in only 10 months, and yet I only see India Shining on the surface. Actually that's the story I'm probably going to have to tell in my dissertation.
I was sitting drinking coffee in this cafe and NDTV shows up and starts making a report on this particular place, complete with two internet startup guys who are regular customers. I'm probably in different shots, but I guess a guy sitting by himself surrounded by work was not exactly cool enough to be featured. Oh well.
I think my ship's about to come in! Apparently my Fulbright-Hays clearance is reaching its final stages, whatever that means. I'll keep you posted.
It's getting colder, especially at night -- I need to buy a jacket. Other than that, things are pretty much OK. Am about to buy a piece of art, go out and relax for the evening. Probably smoke some sheesha -- you know how it is.
More soon.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment