(This was originally written Nov. 12th, but somehow forgot to post it then... so hoping to keep posts at the two week mark -- sounds reasonable, na?)
A lot's been happening in the last few days, it's sort of hard to keep track.
Musharraf declared a State of Emergency in Pakistan, things are calm and parents are fine, watching US sitcoms on DVD. I've written quite a bit of political commentary on a community blog here (www.passtheroti.com) so I won't retread except to say that I'm worried less about the event itself than the violent internal politics that ostensibly caused it.
I went to the student elections at Jawaharlal Nehru University student elections, which are a *big deal*, though also interestingly untied to the balance of national politics. The Students' Federation of India -- associated with the Communist Party of India-Marxist -- were unseated by the All-India Students' Association, part of the Communist Party of India, Marxist-Leninist. How's that for anti-incumbancy?
Diwali brought work to a halt last week, as the city started looking more and more like a festive war-zone, with bombs and missiles and gunpowder smoke saturating the air. And between all these festivities, I had an excellent time: hanging out with new-found researcher friends, going to art exhibitions and meeting random writers who have booker prize winners on speed-dial.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment